"The Old Brick Church"

National Register of Historic Places in the United States of America: Reference number 83001136.

Monday, April 18, 2022

"Brief Devotions For Busy Lives" by Rev. Dr. Mary Johnson: 18:1-3

 April 18

"I love thee, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies." - Psalm 18:1-3 (RSV)

Have you ever felt like you were "caught between a rock and a hard place"? If so, David, the writer of this Psalm, knew exactly how you feel. In looking back over the battles of his youth, David praises God in this song for protecting his life and bringing amazing victories and blessings. When David hid out in the Judean wilderness for decades as he fought his enemies, he became familiar with the rocky landscape filled with ravines, gullies, narrow passageways, and deep gorges. Rocky sites were so valued as places of refuge and safety David frequently used rock analogies to symbolize God. He saw the Lord as a powerful rock and source of ultimate protection. God's protection of his people then and now is limitless and can take many forms. David vividly described God's protection with five symbols that still tell us today that God is like:

(1) A rock that can't be moved by any who would harm us,
(2) A fortress or place of safety where our enemies can't go,
(3) A shield that protects us from harm,
(4) A horn of salvation, describes horns used to call for help
(5) A stronghold or a fortress high above our troubles.

If you ever need protection, look to God! David, helpless and weak, found God alone could rescue him from his troubles when he was defenseless. If you wish God would quickly rescue you from your troubles, remember he can either deliver you now or be your support as you face them. If you ever feel you're drowning in troubles, ask God to help, protect, and be your rock. In God's care, you are never helpless!

Prayer: Lord, Be my rock when I feel as if I am drowning in problems that seem like overwhelming floods. Amen.

Meditation For The Day: Problems bring pain. Rocks remain. God sustains.

Brief Devotions For Busy Lives: Daily Spring Renewal Paperback – February 21, 2017, by Rev. Dr. Mary Johnson (Author)

No comments:

Post a Comment